Lucky escape for Enfield family with battery-less smoke alarm

By Clare Casey in Local People

AN Enfield family had a “lucky escape” after escaping from a severe blaze that left their home uninhabitable.

The fire - believed to have been caused by an electrical fault – began in their conservatory in Hereward Gardens, Palmers Green, on Tuesday March 14.

There was no battery in their ground floor smoke alarm but the blaze was spotted by one of the children from their bedroom window.

A spokesman for the London Fire brigade said that two adults and two children evacuated the property, “thankfully without injury”.

Firefighters used the blaze to warn others of the perils of having a smoke alarm with no batteries.

A spokesman said: “A battery-less smoke alarm is no use to anyone.

“Homes need multiple and linked smoke alarms or you won’t be properly covered.

“Ideal spots for smoke alarms include rooms where you leave electrical equipment running like satellite boxes, computers or heaters; any room where you smoke, and anywhere you charge your mobile or laptop.

“As a minimum you should have smoke alarms on every floor - in the hallways and the rooms you use the most, plus a heat alarm in the kitchen. They should be linked together and tested regularly.”

Half of the ground floor and part of the first floor was damaged by fire. The fire spread into the roof and has left the home uninhabitable.

The brigade was called at 8:15pm and the fire was under control two hours later.

Add Comment

Add Your Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment

By posting your comment you agree to our T & C