Enfield Town ease past Harlow to climb up to fourth place

By Dominique Stafford in Football

ENFIELD TOWN produced a terrific performance at Harlow Town on Monday as they secured a 3-0 victory to climb up into fourth place in the Ryman Premier Division table.

On a high following a run of six straight wins, Town took control after a tight first half and went ahead courtesy of an own goal from Craig Pope – who was later sent off.

The visitors were dominant after this and further goals from Harry Ottaway and Karl Oliyide sealed a win which leaves them on the brink of securing a spot in the play-offs.

“It was an amazing result and just followed on from the great run we’ve been on,” said manager Bradley Quinton. “It was a local derby and it’s not an easy place to go to, but the way we played in the second half was tremendous.

“It was great to see so many of our fans there. Their support has been superb and it really spurred the lads on again.”

The first half proved to be a tense affair, but Town could have taken the lead on three minutes when Dernell Wynter latched on to a poor clearance – only for his shot to lack power as home keeper David Hughes made a comfortable save.

Tyler Campbell fired wide and Hughes saved again from Wynter before the visitors almost broke the deadlock on 21 minutes when Ricky Gabriel’s header hit the outside of the post.

Five minutes later Harlow threatened for the first time as a quick break ended with Mario Noto unleashing a shot which keeper Nathan McDonald grabbed at the second attempt.

But the contest really came to life in the second half and Town opened the scoring on 53 minutes when Oliyide burst down the right and produced a low cross which the unfortunate Pope could only turn into his own net under significant pressure from Harry Ottaway.

The visitors began to play much more fluently after this and Wynter had a shot blocked by Ibrahima Sonko.

However, Harlow then enjoyed a good spell which saw Sonko’s header from a corner narrowly clear the bar before Alex Read blazed over from a good position.

They were unable to get back on level terms though and Town took a firm grip on the match by adding a second with 15 minutes remaining.

Billy Crook swung in a corner from the left which was headed goalwards by Mark Kirby. Hughes did well to parry his effort, but Ottaway reacted quickest to the loose ball and smashed it gleefully into the empty net.

It was one-way traffic after this and Samir Bihmoutine twice tested Hughes with fierce shots, while Pope’s miserable afternoon came to a premature ending as he collected a second yellow card for hauling down Ottaway.

And Town added further gloss to their victory moments before the final whistle as a great move involving Bobby Devyne and Bihmoutine ended with Oliyide finishing in style to send the visiting fans into raptures.

Harlow Town: Hughes, Pope, Eadie (Ngamb 57), Dickens, Sonko, Muguo, Small, Simms, Read (Fagg 77), Noto (Curtis 81), Dadson. Subs: Gordon, Lee.

Enfield Town: McDonald, Muleba, Kiangebeni, Kirby, Gabriel, Campbell (Bihmoutine 74), Shulton (Livings 85), Crook, Oliyide, Wynter (Devyne 84), Ottaway. Subs: Parcell, Williams.

Booked: Simms, Pope, Noto, Fagg, Campbell, Shulton.

Sent off: Pope.

Attendance: 607.

Add Comment

Add Your Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment

By posting your comment you agree to our T & C